-
January 25th, 2000, 09:32 AM
#1
Inactive Member
what are some of the problem areas of the JRSC ?
I've heard of people having problems with their SC vibrating @ 4000 RPM's.
I've heard of people with detonation.
I've heard of the manifold cracking.
I've heard of the engine bogging @ certain RPM's.
I've heard of people leaning out.
I havn't heard of anyone with serious engine damage yet(ex:blown motor,blown or burned valves or pistons),RODS?
What I'm trying to get at is:
I want to SC my 94 B18C(75,000K)and i want it to be as reliable as stock.
What can I do to make sure the motor runs strong with no seriuos drawbacks.
Thanks to anyone who will take the time out to write back.
Also, as far as the installation goes,i'm pretty MECHANICALLY INCLINED, is there any hard , time consuming steps in INSTALLATION PROCESS ?
------------------
94 civic
b18c motor
jrsc future
-
January 25th, 2000, 12:22 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Installation is pretty smooth and the instructions are very detailed. You can actually download a copy on the JR web site and see what your getting into. I did mine by myself in about 18 hours over 2 days. I needed help for about 10 minutes to help with the blower to manifold attachment. Other than that things went smooth.
As far as problems, I've been very pleased with the setup. I have had some detonation problem but it is very light/ consistent in the light throttle mid-RPM area and it only lasts a split second. I've been told not to worry about it but I'm still searching for an answer like a few others. I/WE will figure out a solution. I would reccomend the J&S Safeguard which is like having severe detonation insurance since when set right it wont let it occur. The manifold problem seems to be mainly before the support bracket they put in the kit was added, but if it would happen I've heard of JR overnight shipping a new one from a couple of guys. Their service and tech support are great. I have no whining or flat spots, unless you consider your power out of boost a flat spot (hehe). Leaning out is probably due to other factors and not the SC kit. I have the A/F meter with the J&S and at Wide Open Throttle where it counts I'm ALWAYS in the "Rich" 1 or 2 LED's so it definitely delivers enough fuel, at least for 6psi. I highly recommend the kit and I would do it again if I had to. In fact, I can't picture my car without it now. If done right, I think it's the best bolt on available and it's a quality kit. If you need to go back to stock it's an option as well.
Hope this helps.
-
January 25th, 2000, 12:27 PM
#3
Inactive Member
You can read about my experiences with the kit at http://home.nycap.rr.com/ghjrsc/
Lundgren and RJaffey also have pages like this. There are links to theirs on my site.
Go for it!
Greg Holden
96 GSR, JRSC...
-
January 25th, 2000, 01:28 PM
#4
HB Forum Owner
Let me sum up some of the answers for you:
>I've heard of people having problems with their SC vibrating @ 4000 RPM's.
The vibration problem has been resolved (anybody still having it?) by a support bracket that helps hold the blower up.
>I've heard of people with detonation.
Some people have experienced different degrees of knock and ping. 1fstGSR has had the worst experience and that was with him running 8psi and stock injectors. Most have been relatively trouble free, and certain new techniques and hardware are making the problem less prevolent.
>I've heard of the manifold cracking.
Two issues. One, a new manifold design (shipped with all kits now) has the bolt holes cast into it instead of cut. This, along with the support bracket, should keep this from happening. I haven't heard of anyone yet with a new style manifold that is cracked.
>I've heard of the engine bogging @ certain RPM's.
Yes, there are issues with fuel and timing. Again certain tuning tips, and the addition of timing controls or retard systems, can help eliminate this issue.
>I've heard of people leaning out.
Cars lean out everyday. As far as dramatic, problem causing lean conditions, I believe only 1fstGSR(Will), and maybe Jasper, have experienced these. And Will (as I said before) was playing with upgraded boost pressures and not enough in the injector department. Thats okay, cause his engine is getting an overhaul, and his new-and-improved SC GS-R should be whuppin' ass at a track near you soon!
>I havn't heard of anyone with serious engine damage yet(ex:blown motor,blown or burned valves or pistons),RODS?
Already talked about this up above...
So there you have it. All in all most are satisfied with the kit. But you will not have stock reliability, it just isn't going to happen. It should be more reliable than many alternatives (the degree to which this is true is inverse to how far you want to take it). Obviously if you start wanting to up the boost and add other components, you are going to affect this. Good luck in your decision!!
------------------
I am making $150-200 a month, just for surfing the net!!!
Find out how you can do the same at VTeCno's Get Paid to Surf Site!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks